Coconut Donuts with Davidson Plum Drizzle
Donuts you say? Are you a donut fan? How about when you get to make your own, watching them rise up perfectly in the oven, perfectly filling out the pan around the hole in the middle and then coming out all ready for your favourite topping.
For us that topping is pretty in pink Davidson Plum. Mixed with coconut cream and turned into a fancy drizzle, or a thick creamy topping, when it comes to making donuts, there are endless possibilities. Use the recipe below which features wholesome ingredients, and lets you make healthy donuts. From there, you can create your Davidson Plum topping, or mix it up and opt for Kakadu Plum, Strawberry Gum or whatever flavour you prefer!
For the Donuts
¾ cup oats
¾ cup Honest to Goodness Desiccated Coconut
1 ¼ cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ cup Honest to Goodness Coconut Palm Sugar
3 tbsp coconut cream
1 ¾ cup almond or coconut milk
Pinch of salt
For the Topping
4 tbsp Coconut Cream (refrigerated)
1 tsp Maple Syrup
1 tsp The Australian Superfood Co Davidson Plum Powder
- In a blender or food processor, add the oats and coconut. Process until a coarse flour forms, and mixture starts to clump together.
- Remove from the food processor and add to a bowl. Use a fork to remove any clumps and then add in flour, baking powder and sugar. Stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl, stir together coconut cream, milk and salt. Add the liquid mixture to the flours and stir until evenly distributed.
- Once batter is ready, spoon into a donut pan. If you don’t have a donut pan you can alternatively turn the batter into cupcakes and spoon into a muffin tin.
- Bake in the oven, preheated to 180 degrees Celsius for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and place on a rack to completely cool.
- For the topping, place a can of coconut cream in the fridge until it separates. Use 4 tablespoons of the thick, white cream that forms at the top, and place in a bowl.
- Add the Davidson Plum and maple syrup and stir together with a fork. If you would like it to thinner, add almond milk or coconut milk a teaspoon at a time to reach desired consistency.
- Once donuts are cooled, drizzle coconut topping over each one and then place in the fridge until firm.