Layered Breakfast Parfait
This Layered Breakfast Parfait w/ Sweet Honey & Strawberry Gum Labneh, Cacao Coconut Crunch Paleo Granola & Riberry Spiced Strawberry Compote, might be a mouthful to say, but it’s incredibly easy to make and absolutely delicious to eat. Better still, it’s one of those recipes you can prepare in advance and layer up when you’re ready to eat it. The Sweet Honey and Strawberry Gum Labneh is thick, creamy and fragrant and our Cacao Coconut Crunch Paleo Granola adds texture and of course, that crunch. Combine these two layers with the subtle sweet spicy notes of the Riberry Spiced Strawberry Compote and you have a perfectly balanced, flavour packed, nutritious breakfast parfait.
Sweet Honey & Strawberry Gum Labneh
- Line a large deep bowl with cheesecloth and pour the yogurt into the centre of the cheesecloth.
- Place a long wooden or metal spoon across the bowl. Using the spoon as an anchor point, take the opposite ends of the cheesecloth and tie them in a knot over the wooden spoon, pulling the yoghurt up off the bottom of the bowl as you do. Do the same with the other two opposite ends of the cheesecloth. The hung yoghurt should now be suspended and there should be plenty of room between the bottom of the bowl and the hung yoghurt, so it’s not touching the whey once it starts to drain from the yoghurt.
- Place the hung yoghurt in the refrigerator and let it drain for at least 24 hours.
- Once the yoghurt has hung for the desired time, gently squeeze out any excess The yogurt will now be very thick and resemble soft goat cheese. This is called labneh.
- Place the labneh in a medium size bowl along with the strawberry gum extract, honey and sea salt. Stir until well combined. Set aside in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use.
Riberry Spiced Strawberry Compote
- In a medium size saucepan, add the frozen strawberries, riberry, honey and sea salt. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove from heat, pour into a bowl and place in the refrigerator to cool.
Serve using your favourite parfait glasses or jars, place 2 to 3 heaped tablespoons of the Sweet Honey and Strawberry Gum Labneh in the bottom of the jars, top with an even layer of Cacao Coconut Crunch Paleo Granola and then a layer of Riberry Spiced Strawberry Compote. Repeat these steps once more until you have a beautifully layered breakfast parfait. Enjoy!Tips
- Cheesecloth is available to purchase at most kitchen supply stores. If you can’t find cheesecloth though, try using a clean tea.
- Keep the whey from the yoghurt to use in cake, scone and bread. Place it in the freezer if you’re not planning on using it right away.
- How much mixture you use per layer will depend on the size of your jars. Use our measurements as a guide.
Recipe @jules_mckie for The Australian Superfood Co. Styling & photography @jules_mckie