Shakshuka with Native Bush Tomato & Aniseed Myrtle
Shakshuka may very well be at the apex of eggs for breakfast, lunch and dinner recipes. This one-skillet dish of eggs baked in a rich tomato and red pepper sauce is traditonally spiced with cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper. It’s a quick and easy recipe that starts on the cooktop and is finished in the oven – with freshly cracked eggs gently nestled and baked in the sauce. As with all our recipes, this one strays from the more traditional renditions with the addition of our native Bush Tomato and Aniseed Myrtle and is served with delicious grilled Saltbush infused goat’s cheese sourdough.
Time: 45 minutes
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 large red capsicum, seeded and thinly sliced
5 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
2 x 400 gram tins crushed or diced tomatoes
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup water
1 tbsp raw sugar
1 tsp ground Native Aniseed Myrtle, finely ground
1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
pinch ground cayenne, or to taste
1 tsp sea salt
4 free-range eggs
80 grams feta
1/2 tsp Native Old Man Saltbush
4 slices sourdough bread Coriander leaves, roughly chopped
1. Heat oven to 200°C. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low. Add onion and
capsicum and cook over low heat until soft. Add garlic and cumin and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes, balsamic, water, sugar, finely ground TASC native Aniseed Myrtle and Bush Tomato and paprika. Cover and cook over low-medium heat until sauce has
thickened, approximately 15 minutes. Season with sea salt and TASC Mountain Pepperberry
3. Gently crack eggs over simmering hot tomato sauce and transfer to pre-heated oven. Bake until eggs are just set, 7 to 10 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, combine TASC Old Man Saltbush and goats cheese. Toast sourdough and spread with goats feta. Place under hot grill and cook until cheese is melted and golden on top.
5. Remove Shakshuka from oven and sprinkle with coriander.
6. Serve immediately with grilled Saltbush and goats cheese sourdough.
Recipe @jules_mckie for The Australian Superfood Co. Styling & photography @jules_mckie