Vegan Lemon Myrtle and Poppyseed Donuts
Donuts you say? Are you a donut fan? How about when you get to make your own, watching them rise up perfectly in the oven, perfectly filling out the pan around the hole in the middle and then coming out all ready for your favourite topping. For us that topping is zesty Lemon Myrtle. Use the recipe below which features wholesome ingredients, and lets you make healthy vegan donuts.
For the Donuts
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, cane sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, poppy seeds and lemon myrtle powder.
- In another bowl, mix together the almond milk, lemon myrtle extract, coconut oil and vanilla essence.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together just until combined. Ensure not to over mix.
- Spoon the batter into a piping bag, or a large ziplock bag and cut a hole in the corner.
- Once batter is ready, spray your donut pan and spoon batter in. If you don’t have a donut pan you can alternatively turn the batter into cupcakes and spoon into a muffin tin.
- Spray your donut pan with some cooking spray, and then pipe the batter into the pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown and a knife comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and place on a rack to completely cool.
For the Topping
- Mix the powdered sugar, almond milk, lemon myrtle powder and extract, vanilla and poppy seeds together until combined.
- Once donuts are cooled, drizzle coconut topping over each one, add crushed almonds and then place in the fridge until firm.
Mix up the recipe by replacing Lemon Myrtle with other native ingredients such as Strawberry Gum, Davidson Plum, Riberry, Kakadu Plum and more. To make this Gluten Free, swap the flour for Gluten Free flour.