Creamy Pea & Mint Soup with Native Peppermint Gum & Mountain Pepper Leaf
We love adding our native twist to popular dishes and our Creamy Pea and Mint Soup with Native Peppermint Gum and Mountain Pepper Leaf, is just another example of this. It’s quick and easy to make, incredibly fragrant and absolutely delicious. We use peas, fresh garden mint, coconut cream and native ingredients to create this warming pot of winter soup that’s perfect for an evening meal or dinner party starter.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and celery. Cook for 5 – 8 minutes, stirring occasionally until onion is soft.
- Add stock and bring to the boil. Add Native Peppermint Gum and Native Mountain Pepper Leaf. Add peas, cover pot and return to the boil. Cook for 3 minutes or until peas are tender but still bright green. Remove from heat and stir in the mint. Set aside to cool slightly before blending.
- Using a large blender or hand-held blender, blend soup until smooth. Return soup to saucepan over low-medium heat and cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, spoon into bowls and top with goats cheese and mint leaves.
- If you only have a small blender or food processor, process the soup in batches.
- Try serving with crumbled goats cheese and crispy pancetta flakes.
- If you like a little extra mint add another handful in step 3.
Recipe @jules_mckie for The Australian Superfood Co. Styling & photography @jules_mckie