Creamy Zucchini & Sandalwood Nut Pesto Pasta
Sandalwood Nut Pesto is one of our favorite variations on a classic pesto. Combined with zucchini, spinach, parmesan and our very own native Aniseed Myrtle and Old Man Saltbush, to create a creamy texture and deliciously, earthy flavour. We’ve then tossed it through classic spaghetti pasta and zucchini ribbons, and finished it off with tender garden peas, crispy pancetta and freshly shaved parmesan. Double the pesto recipe so you have plenty left over to serve with an antipasto platter or alongside steamed or roasted vegetables.
Creamy Sandalwood Nut & Zucchini Pesto
- Add zucchini, spinach leaves, parmesan, garlic, Sandalwood Nuts, Aniseed Myrtle and Old Man Saltbush to a food processor and process until smooth and creamy, scrapping down the sides as you go.
- Turn the food processor to medium speed and slowly pour in the olive oil, while the mixture is moving and process until the pesto is well combined.
- Season with sea salt and pour into a sealed container. Store in the refrigerator while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Fry the pancetta in a skillet until crispy. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate to cool, then crumble or coarsely chop. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of well salted water to the boil over high heat. Cook pasta according to the packet until aldente, reserving 1/4 of a cup of pasta water before draining.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Toss the pasta, shaved zucchini and peas with pesto and one tablespoon of pasta water, until warm and creamy. Add additional pasta water as needed.
Serve garnished with freshly shaved parmesan, grated Sandalwood Nut, and crispy pancetta crumbs.Tips
- Toast Sandalwood Nuts at 180°C for 10 minutes. Remove from oven to cool before using.
- Make a double batch of pesto and store what’s left in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Replace wheat pasta with spelt pasta for a nuttier taste or use gluten-free, if needed.
- For a delicious vegetarian option, leave out the pancetta.
Recipe @jules_mckie for The Australian Superfood Co. Styling & photography @jules_mckie.