Passionfruit and Strawberry Gum Mousse
Passionfruit and Strawberry Gum are a match made in heaven, especially when it comes to desserts! Bursting with fruitiness, this dessert will be sure to impress your guests!
- Push the pulp from the 16 passionfruit through a sieve set over a bowl to extract the juice, you will need 185 ml (6 fl oz/3/4 cup). Discard the seeds. Pour half the passionfruit juice into a small heatproof bowl or cup, sprinkle over the gelatine and stand for 5 minutes or until the gelatine has softened. Place the bowl in a saucepan with enough water to come halfway up the side of the bowl. Heat gently over medium-low heat until the gelatine dissolves. Remove the bowl from the pan, stir in the remaining passionfruit juice, add the Strawberry Gum extract, and cool to room temperature.
- Use an electric mixer with a whisk attachment to whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl until thick and pale. Stir in the cooled gelatine mixture, then refrigerate for 30 minutes or until just beginning to set.
- Use electric beaters with a whisk attachment to whisk the cream in a medium bowl until soft peaks form. Clean the whisk attachment. Put the egg whites in a clean, dry medium bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Use a large metal spoon or spatula to fold the whipped cream through the passionfruit mixture until evenly combined. Add one-third of the egg whites and fold to combine well. Gently fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Divide the mixture evenly among six 250 ml (9 fl oz/1 cup) serving glasses. Cover each with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until set.
- Combine the pulp from the 6 extra passionfruit with the extra sugar in a small bowl and stir until the sugar dissolves. Spoon over the mousse in the glasses and serve.
Recipe adapted from ‘Good Food’. See the original recipe here.