RASPBERRY AND MUNTRIE TARTS
These jewel-like tarts are the perfect combination of sweet and tangy and are topped with a billowy, crispy spire of dusted meringue.
Using our native Muntrie powder and dried Davidson Plums elevates this dish from spectacular to sublime.
Perfect for impressing friends at your next dinner party.
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C
- Sift the flour into a bowl.Add butter, flour and sugar to your food processor and blitz until they form a crumb. Add egg yolk and lemon juice and mix until a dough forms.
- Tip onto a floured bench and knead until smooth. Wrap in cling wrap and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll pastry between two sheets of baking paper and then cut out four circles large enough to cover your tart pans, with an overhang on the edges.
- Lightly spray the tart pans with olive oil and roll pastry circle into them, gently pressing into the base and the fluted edges.
- Trim the excess pastry from the top and fill each tart with baking paper and pie weights or rice. Bake for 20 minutes and then remove and cool.
- Meanwhile, drain your Davidson Plums and roughly chop them.
- Place the raspberries, Muntrie powder, Davidson Plums, caster sugar and water into a small pot and cook until the fruit is soft, and the juices have released – approx. 10 minutes.
- Cool the mixture for 10 minutes and then pour into a high-speed blender and blitz until smooth. Clean your pot and strain the mixture back in.
- Whisk the egg yolks and cornflour together to form a paste and add to the curd mixture, whisking well the entire time, until fully incorporated.
- Heat over medium-low heat until the curd has thickened and then add the butter and stir until combined.
- Cool slightly before pouring into pastry shells. Sit in the fridge to set.
- To make the meringue, heat your oven to 120⁰ C and line a large tray.
- Whisk the egg whites and salt until thickened and then add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well in-between additions.
- Add the cream of tartar halfway through and continue whisking and adding sugar gradually until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Pipe or dollop the meringue onto your prepared tray and dust with Muntrie powder. Bake for 45 minutes then turn the oven off and crack the door slightly, leaving the meringues to cool completely.
- Top each tart with a meringue just before serving.