Shakshuka with Native Bush Tomato & Aniseed Myrtle served with Grilled Saltbush & Goats Cheese Sourdough
Shakshuka may very well be at the apex of eggs for breakfast, lunch and dinner recipes. This one-skillet dish of eggs baked in a rich tomato and red pepper sauce is traditionally spiced with cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper. It’s a quick and easy recipe that starts on the cooktop and is finished in the oven – with freshly cracked eggs gently nestled and baked in the sauce. As with all our recipes, this one strays from the more traditional renditions with the addition of our na- tive Bush Tomato and Aniseed Myrtle and is served with delicious grilled Saltbush infused goat’s cheese sourdough.
- Heat oven to 200°C. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low. Add onion and
- capsicum and cook over low heat until soft. Add garlic and cumin and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, balsamic, water, sugar, finely ground TASC native Aniseed Myrtle and Bush Tomato and paprika. Cover and cook over low-medium heat until sauce has thickened, approximately 15 minutes. Season with sea salt and TASC Mountain Pepperberry
- Gently crack eggs over simmering hot tomato sauce and transfer to pre-heated Bake until eggs are just set, 7 to 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine TASC Old Man Saltbush and goats cheese. Toast sourdough and spread with goats feta. Place under hot grill and cook until cheese is melted and golden on
- Remove Shakshuka from oven and sprinkle with
- Serve immediately with grilled Saltbush and goats cheese
Recipe @jules_mckie for The Australian Superfood Co. Styling & photography @jules_mckie