Smashed Avo & Strawberry Gum Jalapeno Chutney
A little twist on an Aussie classic! Smashed Avocado gets jazzed up with a delicious chutney. Combining juicy strawberries, the native Australian herb Strawberry Gum and jalapeno makes for an unexpected flavour combination that is a little bit sweet, a little bit sour and of course, a little bit spicy!
- Place the diced strawberries, jalapenos, white vinegar, sugar and Strawberry Gum in a medium saucepan. Place the pan over medium heat and bring the mixture to a boil. Once the mixture comes to boil, add a pinch of salt and reduce the heat to low. Allow the mixture to simmer until it thickens and the strawberries have softened completely, about 45 minutes.
- Keep your desired amount of chutney aside and transfer any leftover chutney to a mason jar, sealing the top. Place the jar in boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove from the water and place in the refrigerator to cool.
- The chutney is ready to use when it has cooled to room temperature or below.
- Once your chutney has cooled, toast a slice of your favourite bread.
- Scoop out the avocado and mash in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread your smashed avocado onto your bread. Add a heaping spoonful or two of chutney on top. Garnish with micro herbs or rocket.
- The chutney lasts up to 2 weeks when kept in a sealed jar in the refrigerator.
This recipe was from our friend and former Head Chef at Nourished:385 and photo is credit to The Urban List.