To us, it’s not Christmas until someone serves eggnog! We know it’s a slightly naughty treat, and there are healthier ways of making it, but we only get it once a year so why not enjoy the real deal! We’ve added our roasted and ground Wattleseed for a delicious, nutty flavour!
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks by hand with a whisk or with an electric mixer, until they become lighter in colour. Slowly beat in the sugar and continue whisking until fluffy.
- Combine the milk, cinnamon, and wattleseed in a small pot. Turn heat to medium high and allow the mixture to heat up until it is steaming hot, but not brought to a boil.
- Slowly add half of the hot milk mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly while you add the hot mixture. Pour the mixture back into the pot.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until it begins to thicken slightly, and coats the back of the spoon. Make sure you’re watching the mixture so it doesn’t come to a boil or it will curdle. If the mixture does happen to curdle try running it through a blender again to remove the lumps — you might be able to save it!
- Remove from heat and stir in the cream. Let cool for one hour.
- Mix in vanilla extract, nutmeg, and bourbon. Allow to chill in the fridge for a couple hours. Garnish with whipped cream, a dusting of cacao, nutmeg or some sliced almonds.