Mountain Pepperberry Spiced Pomegranate & Gin Cocktail
This cocktail recipe is perfectly balanced in every way. It’s tart, peppery and subtly sweet – incredibly refreshing and absolutely delicious too. It features our sweet, peppery native Mountain Pepperberry, infused with pomegranate and lime juice and slightly sweetened with rice malt syrup. Mixed with a classic gin (or vodka), tonic or soda water and poured over ice cubes. It’s then finished with fresh pomegranate seeds, a couple of Mountain Pepperberries and a sprig of fresh thyme or rosemary. Perfect for Christmas day festivities or your New Year’s Eve cocktail party.
Mountain Pepperberry Spiced Pomegranate Syrup
- Combine all ingredients in a small heavy based saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer over low heat. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before placing in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours (or up to 24 hours) to allow the Mountain Pepperberry spice to infuse the syrup.
- Once the syrup is well infused, remove from refrigerator and place in a blender jug. Blend on high speed for 15 – 20 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the jug and repeat if necessary.
- Strain the liquid through a fine sieze into a small jug and set aside in the refrigerator until you’re ready to make your cocktail. Keep the pepperberry pulp for cooking.
- Place the syrup, gin and tonic or soda water in a large 2 litre jug and mix well to combine.
- Pour into tumblers over ice cubes and garnish with pomegranate seeds and thyme or rosemary sprigs. Enjoy!
Recipe @jules_mckie for The Australian Superfood Co. Styling & photography @jules_mckie