Native Ingredient Hot Cross Buns
Hot cross buns are incredibly delicious with native ingredients! We have developed this recipe featuring the flavours of Cinnamon Myrtle and Strawberry Gum, complimented by the citrus zest of Kakadu Plum. And to make it extra special, in addition to sultanas, we added Air Dried Davidson Plum. Try it out if you haven’t had a sample of this tart, crunchy treat!
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, yeast, Strawberry Gum, Kakadu Plum, Cinnamon Myrtle, ground cinnamon and salt.
- Add the sultanas and Davidson Plum.
- Once fully combined, make a well in the center and add warm coconut milk and warm water. Use your hands to bring the mixture together to form a dough. Set the dough aside in a warm place to rise for 1-2 hours.
- Once risen, punch down and then divide evenly into 6 balls of dough.
- Pack the 6 dough balls into a rectangle pan, lined with baking paper and set aside to rise for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Once preheated, place pan into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until buns are firm to touch and slightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and place on a rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the cross by stirring together the coconut cream and extract.
- Spoon the mixture on top of each cooled bun forming a cross.
- Enjoy immediately, or store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.