Banana & Wattleseed Pancakes with Roasted Wattleseed Syrup
This delicious pancake recipe was created to introduce, our new, reformulated, award winning, Roasted Wattleseed Extract. This native extract has recently won Gold at the 2019 Australian Food Awards, with the judges saying it has a “good rounded flavour” and is a “really good product”.
Never tried wattleseed before? It’s both nutritious and delicious, with chocolatey, coffee notes, the perfect addition to both your sweet and savoury dishes. It is high in protein and a low-GI carbohydrate, packed with iron and zinc… and it is a great accompaniment to sweet maple syrup! Enjoy!
Roasted Wattleseed Syrup
- Place wattleseed in a medium-sized saucepan over low-medium heat and toast for 1 minute, moving the seeds around the pan continuously during this time.
- Add remaining ingredients to saucepan and stir until well combined. Remove from heat and pour in sterilised jars. Set aside to cool in the refrigerator until your pancakes are cooked.
Banana & Wattleseed Pancakes
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until well combined.
- Heat one tablespoon of coconut oil in a non-stick frying pan over low-medium heat. Reserve additional coconut oil for later if you need more.
- Place spoonfuls of pancake mixture (approx 8-10cm diameter) into the frying pan and cook for approximately 2-3 minutes or until tiny bubbles form on top of the pancake. Carefully flip the pancakes and cook for a further 1-2 minutes on the other side.
- Remove from pan and cover with a clean tea towel to keep warm while you continue cooking the rest of the pancakes.
To serve, top with sliced banana and blueberries and drizzle with Roasted Wattleseed Syrup.
Recipe @jules_mckie for The Australian Superfood Co. Styling & photography @jules_mckie