Native Davidson Plum & Strawberry Sorbet
This Native Davidson Plum & Strawberry Sorbet was inspired by MasterChef 2020 winner, Emelia Jackson, who impressed the judges with her Pistachio Financier, Davidson Plum and Raspberry Sorbet and Meringue dessert. We’ve adapted the sorbet recipe slightly for you to easily recreate at home and enjoy with your family and friends. We promise everyone will love this cool, refreshing, slightly tart and utterly delicious sorbet.
- Place strawberries and 30 mls of water into a heavy base saucepan and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes before processing.
- Place slightly cooled strawberries in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Return strawberry puree to saucepan, add remaining ingredients and stir over low-medium heat to melt the sugar. Remove from the heat and allow to cool in refrigerator for 2-3 hours or until mixture is completely chilled.
- If you do have an ice cream machine, pour mixture into an ice cream machine and churn until thick (following manufacturers instructions). Transfer to a container and place in freezer until you’re ready to serve.
- If you don’t have an ice cream machine. Once the mixture is chilled, simply add the sorbet straight to the freezer instead of churning. After an hour, remove from freezer, place in a food process and blend until smooth. Return to freezer and continue this process of freezing and blending 2-3 more times, every half an hour. This will give you a creamier, less icy sorbet.
- Serve topped with fresh berries and dark chocolate flakes or finely ground cacao nibs.
- Replace strawberries with raspberries for a slightly different flavour. Note: If using raspberries, you will need to pass raspberry puree through a sieve to remove fine seeds, before chilling and churning.
- Stir in 1/4 cup grated dark chocolate chips or flakes for a delicious Davidson Plum, berry and choc-chip sorbet.
Recipe @jules_mckie for The Australian Superfood Co.
Styling & photography @jules_mckie