Old Man Saltbush & Mountain Pepperberry Calamari with Riberry Aioli
This is our spin on everyone’s favourite, salt and pepper calamari. We’ve taken Old Man Salt Bush, the newest member to our native Australian herbs range and teamed it up with Mountain Pepperberry, to create a salty, herbaceous coating with a sweet, peppery punch. And then complimented it with a simple Riberry Aioli. This recipe is an absolute crowd pleaser and so delicious, that you and your guests will keep coming back for more and more.
- To prepare the coating, combine rice flour, Old Man Saltbush, Mountain Pepperberry and sea salt in a medium size shallow bowl.
- Tossthe calamari through the mixture, making sure the calamari is well Cover and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- If you havea deep-fryer you can use this to cook the calamari. Alternatively, add 3 – 4 tablespoons of coconut oil to a large frypan or saucepan and heat on medium to high.
- Working in small batches, place the pieces of calamari into the hot oil and cook for about 2 – 3 minutes each, or until golden. If you’re using a shallow fry pan, you will need to turn the calamari half way through.
- Drain on paper towel and keep warm in a low oven while cooking remaining calamari.
- To make the aioli, add mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, freeze dried Riberry and sea salt to a medium size bowl and mix well to combine.
- Serve calamari with a large leafy green salad, french fries and our simple Riberry Aioli.
Recipe @jules_mckie for The Australian Superfood Co. Styling & photography @jules_mckie