Native Strawberry Gum & Vanilla Turkish Delight
The name for this traditional jelly-like Turkish sweet, lokma or lokum, literally translates to morsel and that’s exactly what these little squares of sweet joy are. A delicately chewy treat that’s perfectly sweetened and infused with the aromatic flavour of our native Strawberry Gum and a little vanilla, then lavishly dusted with icing sugar and cream of tartar to avoid sticking.
- Oil an 8-inch-square baking pan, and set aside. Place the sugar, 1 cup of water and lemon juice in a small saucepan, and stir to combine. Place over medium-high heat, and bring to a boil. Use a
pastry brush dipped in water to brush down any sugar crystals that form on the side of the pan.
- You will need a sugar or candy thermometer to check the temperature of the syrup. Once the temperature reaches 120°C, remove sugar syrup from the heat, and set aside.
- Combine cornstarch, cream of tartar, and 3/4 cup water in a medium saucepan, and whisk until smooth and fully combined. Bring the remaining 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a separate pan; add to cornstarch mixture, whisking continuously. Place over medium heat and whisk constantly, until the mixture becomes quite thick and just starts to a boil.
- Pour the sugar syrup into the cornstarch mixture, whisking continuously, and reduce heat to low. Gently simmer for 1 hour 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in Native Strawberry Gum extract, vanilla bean extract and food colouring. Pour into the prepared pan, and let set overnight.
- Once set, combine icing sugar with the remaining 1/4 cup cornstarch and sprinkle a small amount in an even layer over a cutting board. Unmold the Turkish delight onto the cutting board and icing sugar mix. Sprinkle the top with more icing sugar mixture and using a sharp knife, cut into 1 inch squares. Let sit uncovered overnight.
Dust with the remaining sugar mixture and store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Add chopped roasted pistachios or flaked almonds to add nutty flavour and texture.
- Turkish delight makes a great edible gift for friends and family.